Newfoundland April, 1634
The anchorage for the new village of Christianburg bustled with activity. The sound of axes chopping trees echoed across the water. The crew of the fishing boat, Bridget, was busy transferring cod to the drying racks a quarter mile from the main landing. Small boats from the larger ships were shuttling settlers and their belongings ashore to waiting tents. The Kristina was the centerpiece of the activity, just offshore, offloading sheep. Three seamen stood laughing at her entry port. As they joked, another sheep rose from the hold on the end of a rope and belly . . .